Port Townsend City Hall and Annex
The City of Port Townsend partnered with the Jefferson County Historical Society for the City Hall Restoration and Annex Addition. The City Hall was originally built in 1892, is the oldest continuing operating city hall in the state of Washington and part of the Port Townsend National Historic Landmark District. The project included the addition of 12,000 square feet of new office building, the Annex, to the north of the original city hall structure as well as the rehabilitation of the historic City Hall. The Annex addition is designed to seismically support the historic City Hall through specialized bracing and complement the design of the original City Hall building.
As a team member, Jennifer* provided planning and site design of a new civic plaza and open space adjacent to City Hall to serve as a venue for public and private events, gatherings, and Saturday Market. In addition, urban design studies of the surrounding streetscape, design tools and standards were suggested for the area that could be applied to the larger Historic District to improve public/pedestrian infrastructure of the downtown and enhance connections between public destinations. This project received LEED Silver rating.
*While principal with another firm
Client: City of Port Townsend
Architect: ARC Architects
Location: Port Townsend, Washington